2022 Guide School Price: $650.00 Per Person
A practical, no-nonsense course for people intrested in becoming a fly fishing guide.
Taught by Nick Streit and Taos Fly Shop's senior guides, this guide school will give you the tools needed to teach fly fishing to others, have successful guide trips, and navigate the fly fishing industry. The school will be 3 and 1/2 days (first day starts at 1pm at Taos Fly Shop).
- Instinctive Fly Fishing II will be our text book. It was written from a guide’s perspective and has been called “the guide’s bible”. It is unlike any other fly fishing book because it gets down to the real reasons why people do—or don’t—catch fish—not theory.
- Evaluating conditions/where to fish and when
- The fly fishing personalities—guiding kids, woman, beginners and experts
- Taking charge and keeping clients in good water
- Hatches, fly choices
- Knots and rigging
- Pond guiding
- Landing and releasing fish
- The fun part--exploring—how to find fish with maps and google earth
- And last but not least—crafting the “fishing excuse”
- GUIDES CHARM SCHOOL: Making lunch, clock reading, gassing up (the car that is—not the guide). Getting big tips! And where to look for guiding jobs. Hosting trips. Ranch jobs etc.
- Drift boat instruction available